Mission 1: Beer 6 - Newcastle

Labels:

I have never had Newcastle before. I am not particularly fond of Brown Ales. I enjoy them more than stouts, they lack that creamy coffee or chocolate taste. I was very surprised by Newcastle. I honestly was not expecting to like it at all. It tasted very much like a super dark Pale Ale. It lacked that nutty, sweet flavor that brown ales are known for. Ironically it is the lack of those flavors that makes me like it. I wouldn't buy it to drink for myself, but if someone offered me one I wouldn't refuse.

This mission has been very different than what I had originally envisioned. I love beer and I figured that drinking only a few ounces everyday would not only be easy but very fun. So far it has been fun, but not easy. Despite my love of beer I am not much of a drinker. I drink on the weekend with friends or occasionally when I am cooking dinner. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been drunk in the last five years. I have two jobs and am currently in MacBeth with the Rogue theatre company so I haven't been getting home until later at night. Our beer drinking has started around 10 or 11 o'clock. Most nights I have been tired and not feeling that great, I sit down and think "oh shit, I still have beer to pour, photograph and drink!"

I think that doing something you love everyday is great if it's a choice. It's not so great if it's something you have to get done when you would rather be doing something else. For me this experience has been a lot like the assigned readings when I was in school. I love to read, I do it all the time, but as soon as I was "assigned" a book I couldn't seem to make myself read it. I love to drink beer, but sometimes I just don't want to drink. The entire project has been an adventure. Even when I don't want to drink, I enjoy sitting with Keith and talking about the beer of the day. I have enjoyed the variety of beers that we have had thus far as well. I don't tend to stray too far from my favorites.

The process of pouring and photographing and drinking the beer has been fun. Doing this project with my husband has been great. It is nice to have a shared project. I am very much looking forward to every night of this month, even if it isn't always easy.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment